Getting favicons without hitting the network

Mike Hommey mh at glandium.org
Sun Oct 1 01:57:02 UTC 2017

Hi,

I finally converted my tabstats addon to webextensions (mostly), but had
to remove its use of xul:image.

Why was it using xul:image, will you ask. Well, because xul:image has
the attribute validate="never", which allows to use the image in the
cache and never hit the network if it's missing. Which worked great to
get favicons.

It's very much undesirable for an addon that just lists tabs to be doing
actual network requests in order to display favicons, so I removed
favicons altogether rather than switch to img.

Now the question is, is there any other way I can get the favicons
without hitting the network?

Mike

PS: another reason not to want to hit the network: some of the sites I
have in my tabs list, and that in unloaded tabs, have no favicon and are
behind HTTP authentication, and hitting the network triggers HTTP auth
popups.