Report 2 problems related to Firefox extension development

Luca Greco lgreco at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 6 20:16:46 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Mike Lissner <mike at free.law> wrote:

> Wow. But until then, we should be watching *three* consoles for errors.
> Good lord. Is there any way to merge these consoles? I mean, big picture,
> we shouldn't be expected to check two or three places every time we have an
> error. It's madness.
>
> And so there will still be two debuggers that can be pauses in the two
>> different processes.
>>

> I get this on a technical level. But I think it's worth considering if
> there's a way to do this better. Is there *any* way both processes can show
> up in the same debugger window? What would it take? Can we at least merge
> their console logging somehow? It's insane to watch two (or more, for the
> time being) places for errors — to say nothing of using two debuggers
> simultaneously. I imagine this won't be easy, but it feels very necessary
> to me.

Unfortunately allowing a debugger window to be able to connect multiple
processes at the same time requires architectural changes to both the
server and the client components of the developer tools (which are shared
by the webpage debugging tools, the browser debugging tools and the
extensions debugging tools), and it is the kind of changes that I would
consider as an option only if/once these kind of architectural changes are
going to be introduced in these shared DevTools components, besides the
extensions debugging scenario.

Provide a console panel which merges the errors coming from the different
child processes would be definitely an easier alternative,
and such an Addon Console window, using a strategy similar to the one used
for the Browser Console, could collect all the errors produced by a target
extension
in the different processes into a single view (but filter out anything that
is not an error raised by a given target extension).

Chrome provides something similar that can be opened from an "Errors" link
that appears in the chrome://extensions/ page on an extension with errors
(but iirc it doesn't list the errors raised in content scripts, which are
only visible from the tab developer tools).