Is it possible to receive webhook events in Web Extensions ?

Kris Maglione kmaglione at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 24 17:09:58 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:33:26AM +0530, Rajakumar R I wrote:
>Hi,
>    I am new to Web Extensions developemt.
>    We got a situation where we need to get the webhook events from
>other domin in the web extensions itself. The other domain is not in
>our control.
>    We get the web-extension's url using
>browser.identity.getRedirectURL(). We have registered this as the
>Webhook POST callback url in other domain.
>    Is that possible to receive the webhook events whenever the other
>domain POST the data in callback url ?

No. Webhooks require a public web server at a predictable
location, which is not something you can provide from a browser
extension. If you want to tie an extension into webhooks, you'd
need to set up a public web server somewhere to receive the
hooks, and have the extension connect to it and poll for
updates.