Plugin telemetry stats

John Barrett jbarrett847 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 10:26:32 UTC 2017

Hi,
With WebExtensions becoming the only plugin API, with the deprecation of
the old system in FF 57, I'd like Mozilla to make public some stats on the
use of plugins.

Specifically, I would like to know the percentage of all Firefox users, who
are currently running any non-WebExtensions plugin, to get an idea of how
many users FF 57 is going to impact negatively.

It would be good for Mozilla to gather and release a lot of stats relevant
to coming deprecation of the old plugin API, perhaps posting the summary on
the Addons blog - it's a bit surprising this kind of information isn't
already public, as it's critical information for publicly justifying the
huge change FF 57 is about to make.

Thanks.

~ John