firefox patched for webextension

Andrew Swan aswan at mozilla.com
Sun Aug 13 18:24:54 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 6:38 AM, pubkeypin <pubkeypin at web.de> wrote:

> If a webextension needs to fully function a local patch applied to
> firefox, can it be hosted on AMO?

I'm not sure I understand your question, are you asking if AMO will host an
extension that requires some locally patched build of Firefox to work?  I
guess the answer is "maybe", AMO does some basic validation of
webextensions, it would depend what the non-standard bits of the extension
are.

> If not, does it get a Mozilla signature as an unlisted extension?

The validation required for listed and unlisted webextensions is the same.

> If not, is there a way to point firefox to another signing certificate
> for extension signing without editing the firefox source code?

There's no way to change the root CA used to verify signed addons to
something that isn't built-in to Firefox.  But you can just disable signing
with a preference in Nightly, Developer Edition, and unbranded builds.

-Andrew