Mirroring AMO history (was Re: FF addons)

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 7 11:51:18 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-04 at 13:37, Jorge Villalobos wrote:

> On 8/4/17 12:29 AM, rus1234 at fastmail.fm wrote:
>
>> Dear Jorge,
>>
>> thank you for letting me know - is there a way for me to locally
>> archive the addons I am interested in because I may need to do a
>> reinstall after one year, at a time when they would no longer be
>> available in Mozilla repository? Can Mozilla please archive and
>> continue making public on the internet all the work that developers
>> put into creating these legacy Firefox addons as it stands now?
>
> We have no plans for this. The Internet Archive keeps good
> historical records of AMO, but I don't know how they fare with
> installer files.

How much space would be required for a full mirror of AMO (if necessary
limited to data-only, i.e. without any of the code which runs the site),
and how would one go about requesting a dump / export of the current
archive (including historical versions) in order to create such
a mirror?

I have a fair bit of space available, albeit not in a public-facing
position (at least for the currently foreseeable future), and I might be
interested in preserving the full history of available AMO addons.

Even if I end up not being able to do that, I'm sure at least one of the
various Firefox fork projects will want to preserve the addons which are
compatible with their fork, which may well be most of them.

(I'm glad I checked in and noticed this thread; it hadn't occurred to me
that Mozilla might drop the long tail of addons from AMO entirely, ever,
although in hindsight doing so makes perfect sense with the mindset
which leads to dropping support for such addons in the first place.)

--
   The Wanderer, currently trying to forward-port Addons Manager Dialog
Returns to FF45...