webextension vs. master password timeout

Kris Maglione kmaglione at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 1 19:36:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 02:57:50PM +0200, grinapo+mozilladev at gmail.com wrote:
>(Please refrain from telling me to use something else, unless you back
>it up by real security-related facts, I mean those who insist MP is
>insecure but fail to detail how, apart from their personal taste. The
>question is about solving a problem, not avoiding it.)

I won't tell you to use something else, but I will tell you that
the master password feature in its current form is deprecated. A
lot has been said about its security and UX issues (e.g., [1]),
but that's a topic for elsewhere. There's a pretty strong
consensus that the current implementation is a dead end, and
we're not planning to do any further development work to support
it. When and if we have a replacement planned, we'll be able to
discuss the appropriate extension APIs to interact with it.

[1]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.platform/BKa6rzcKvdo/U_OZLb1xjOsJ