Requesting WebExtensions Equivalents for More XUL/XPCOM Extensions

Tony Schilling tlschilling at alumni.iastate.edu
Sun Nov 6 17:21:04 UTC 2016

My add-on, Cookie Monster, is nearly 10 years old and therefore, used
XUL/XPCOM APIs.  In order for me to convert Cookie Monster to a
WebExtension, There are several API equivalents I would need:

nsIObserverService
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XPCOM/Reference/Interface/nsIObserverService>
nsIPermissionManager
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XPCOM/Reference/Interface/nsIPermissionManager>
nsIEffectiveTLDService
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XPCOM/Reference/Interface/nsIEffectiveTLDService>
nsIIOService
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XPCOM/Reference/Interface/nsIIOService>

There may be others, but I have not yet delved fully into this.

I would imagine these APIs are commonly used, so am hopeful a WebExtensions
equivalent is planned?  If not, may I request these?

Also, I only want to have to convert my add-on once, assuming it can be
updated?  If an API will not have a WebExtensions equivalent, are there
other options?

Thank you,

Tony
Cookie Monster