WebExtension Proxy API Design

Matthew Wein mwein at mozilla.com
Tue Jul 12 23:58:59 UTC 2016

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Andy,
In terms of importance for existing Chrome add-ons, we know that 3 out of
the top 30 rely heavily on the Proxy API, and in total they have a little
over 15 million users.

Andrew,
Hopefully Johann was able to answer your question regarding the differences
between the two options.  Let me know if you'd like any more information.

Johann,
Thank you for your input! I find what you said very helpful, and at this
point I think Option A sounds like the right way to go here.  By any chance
do you know which of the other WebExt API's rely on chrome.settings? I
think it would be nice to know which ones those are for reference.

Kris,
Since you suggested the possibility of implementing something more
consistent with our built-in proxy filter API, could you take a look at
what Johann said and share some of your thoughts here?

Cheers,
Matt