[CBT] Radical Participation Idea: Slow Down

Majken Connor majken at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:51:33 PST 2014

+infinity!

I think we have a skewed perception of how fast it takes to launch
successful projects. Once you start to hear about a project and see it take
off, the project has already been living and growing for quite some time.
Take Reps for example, the program *started* in 2010 but didn't launch
until 2011 and I think it was in 2012 when it finally caught the attention
of the whole org.

I'm also on-boarding someone to one of my projects, he has expertise that
we need, but a roadblock has been getting the person he needs to work with
to take some time to get him caught up so that he knows what to do. If
we're too busy doing, we won't be spending anytime showing new people how
to get started.

And to be a little silly, I love playing Age of Empires. If you level up
too quickly you won't have enough resources to get done the things you want
to do. If you attack with too small an army, you'll get leveled and have to
start over - and you risk losing your village from a counter attack. You
need to have enough villagers and resources going so that you can
continually make new troops to support your advance. Starting slow allows
for a much bigger impact once you make your move.