[CBT] Radical Participation Idea: Slow Down

David Boswell dboswell at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 24 11:36:44 PST 2014

With a week to go before the Portland work week, I wanted to get everyone thinking about what radical participation ideas we could talk about and refine while we're together.

I just blogged another idea about how we could enable more participation by slowing down.  Mozilla is not a small start-up where everyone is physically together in the same space and information doesn't spread quickly.  In this setting, if things are moving too fast then no one is on the same page and coordinating becomes very difficult.

My post also links to a Harvard Business Review article called 'Need Speed? Slow Down' that talks about the difference between operational speed and strategic speed.  If we focus on strategic speed instead of operational speed we should be optimizing for alignment and open discussions and this will make us more effective long-term.

http://davidwboswell.wordpress.com/2014/11/24/radical-participation-idea-slow-down/

Feel free to comment on the post or on this thread with any feedback on the idea of slowing down.  Also share any other radical participation ideas you have and bring your ideas to the Participation days on Thursday and Friday next week.  More details for the Participation days are on the schedule at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Contribute/Meetup/Portland_Dec_2014/Schedule

Thanks,
David