[CBT] Fundraising at MozFest: Fund Your Project Raise a Community

Regnard Raquedan regnard at raquedan.com
Sun Nov 23 21:59:47 PST 2014

Hi Lawrence,

Nice post on crowdfunding. The tips are very much like what sites like
Indiegogo recommends.

I also want to share my experience with crowdfunding so far. My wife Liza
(who is also a Mozillian) and I started a personal crowdfunding campaign (
http://igg.me/at/pinkbasket/x/8937320) and so far we have raised 17% of our
goal one week after its launch.

Here are some of our insights and what works for us thus far:

   - *Take part in Giving Tuesday* (start a campaign by December 2) -
   Indiegogo's partners will give you extra tools to promote your campaign,
   very helpful
   - *Make a list* - We literally made a list of people whom we think will
   support us and we won't be shy about asking for help. I think this is key
   because as you mentioned, no one wants to support a campaign with zero
   backers and there is hesitation on being the first contributor
   - *People are not viewing the campaign video *- Interestingly enough, we
   created a simple video for our campaign but it is not getting played.
   Indiegogo recommends having a video, but I guess having a clear &
   well-written story is more important to us right now.

That's it so far. I'd be happy to share what we're learning as we go, just
email me off-list.

Thanks!

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Lawrence Kisuuki <
lawrence at mozilla-uganda.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Hope we're doing great. We've been working on helping to get communities
> and Mozillians the ability to fundraise or make partnerships so as to
> further and grow their initiatives.
>
> At the Mozilla Festival we held a session and access to some of those who
> want to know what transpired and how to try this out please read the
> article below.
>
> http://www.newslibre.com/mozilla/fund-your-project-raise-a-community/
>
> Cheers and Happy holidays to those in the US.
>

> *Regards,*
>

> *Lawrence*
>
> *Community Manager*
> *Mozilla Uganda | GenOpen*