[CBT] What does radical participation look like?

David Boswell dboswell at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 12 09:54:01 PST 2014

Thanks to everyone for sharing thoughts -- there are a lot of interesting ideas here to look at more closely.  Please feel free to blog to develop your thoughts more and/or add to this etherpad that captures some of this conversation so far.

https://cbt.etherpad.mozilla.org/thoughts-on-radical-participation

It sounds like the idea of staff as scaffolding really resonates and there are ways to do that, such as 20% time.  Ben raised a real concern about how our short-term deadlines can make this difficult for teams though -- spending any time on enabling volunteers can put those deadlines at risk.

One thought about this is to slow down our goals process -- for example, would shifting from quarterly goals to annual goals give teams more space to enable volunteers in a way that they can help with those goals?  There is some interesting research here about the value of slowing down -- see the Harvard Business Review's article at:

https://hbr.org/2010/05/need-speed-slow-down/ar/1

I also really liked Laura's suggestion of focusing on the culture.  One thing other non-profits do is encourage staff to be volunteers themselves at other organizations and this helps build a culture of service.  For instance, we could encourage teams to spend an afternoon during work weeks volunteering -- by going to a food bank or cleaning up a local park or beach.

Keep sharing ideas :)

Thanks,
David