[CBT] What does radical participation look like?

Madalina Ana mana at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 12 04:06:17 PST 2014

I really like the "staff as scaffolding" model , in SUMO we often say that
our goal is to make ourselves (staff) obsolete.

One thing that often comes to my mind when I think about staff
participation is that we actually need community building for staff. You
cannot have participation without engagement and giving people 20% or 5%
time for community building will not make a radical difference if people
are not engaged or they do not understand the purpose. The way I see it is
to work on building that engagement to the extent that staff
members/managers themselves ask for 5, 10, 20 percent depending on their
needs for community building.

Madalina

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 12/11/14 09:55, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> > Also ask their managers? Something tells me their response might be
> > that they cannot meet deadlines if they spent 20% on community
> > building.
>
> I think we need to find a way to help people understand that community
> building is going slower now in order to go faster later. We built B2G
> in a real rush, and "there wasn't time" for this. When will there be
> time to invest for the future in B2G development? Surely that means
> giving people time to spend nurturing a community?
>
> Gerv

Madalina Ana
Global Community Manager - SUMO
Email: mana at mozilla.com