[CBT] What does radical participation look like?

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 01:55:25 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Adam Lofting
<adam at mozillafoundation.org> wrote:
> Here’s an idea that would be a possible stepping stone to the ‘staff as
> scaffolding’ model…
>

> I meet lots of people who don’t work at Google but who idolize their 20%
> time concept. I don’t want to start a conversation about what 20% time looks
> like in practice for developers at Google, but the *concept* resonates
> widely, and well outside the tech sector. Which is valuable.
>

> What would an official ‘20% time’ for community building look like? Both in
> practice, and in how the outside world understands Mozilla?

While since you are reaching staff who already get paid to work on
community building 100% of the time I would say that asking staff who
dont get paid to work on community building might be a better idea?
Also ask their managers? Something tells me their response might be
that they cannot meet deadlines if they spent 20% on community
building. I think even in the case of teams that are community
participation focused that they are still allocating much less than
20% of their time to community building and mind you these are teams
that would be shining examples of where community and staff work well
together already.

> Would it help with the struggle to balance time spent meeting deadlines, and
> time investing in the community? I’m trying to build/enable a metrics
> community, but I feel those pressures too.

I think the problem for some teams is that their deadline focus is so
intense and they have so much pressure from their managers and other
teams that adding 20% community building time would be difficult to
achieve.

> Community building is a long term investment, much like R&D/innovation.

I agree but I also think that long term investment comes from the top
down. Teams still need to be able to get their work done and if they
make this investment they will need their managers and VP's to
understand that sacrifices elsewhere will need to be made to reach
such a goal.