[CBT] What does radical participation look like?

Adam Lofting adam at mozillafoundation.org
Wed Nov 12 01:16:07 PST 2014

Here’s an idea that would be a possible stepping stone to the ‘staff as scaffolding’ model…

I meet lots of people who don’t work at Google but who idolize their 20% time concept. I don’t want to start a conversation about what 20% time looks like in practice for developers at Google, but the *concept* resonates widely, and well outside the tech sector. Which is valuable.

What would an official ‘20% time’ for community building look like? Both in practice, and in how the outside world understands Mozilla?

Would it help with the struggle to balance time spent meeting deadlines, and time investing in the community? I’m trying to build/enable a metrics community, but I feel those pressures too.

Community building is a long term investment, much like R&D/innovation.

--
Adam Lofting
Metrics Lead

http://adamlofting.com