[CBT] Draft Conflict Resolution Guidelines

Janet Swisher jswisher at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 5 08:42:52 PST 2014

I had a similar thought in reading the document -- that racism is one of
many forms of discrimination (as is mentioned in the explanatory text).
So +1 to that suggestion.

Thanks to Lawrence and those involved in drafting this. It's a bit
disheartening that the list of sources of conflict is so much longer
than the strategies or procedures for handling it ;-) but I agree that
it's important to enumerate them, so that people can find a sense of "do
I have a legitimate complaint?"

Some thoughts about wording in a few places:

* "Marxist management" -- I'm not sure of the connotations of "Marxist"
in Ugandan culture, but it seems better to me to leave out mentions of
specific political ideologies, especially in a negative context.
* " Oppressed community members " -- this assumes that someone is being
oppressed, and puts a label on people who seek help. A more neutral way
of saying this might be something like "If you are involved in a
conflict with another Mozillian and would like help in resolving it ..."
* "Positive effects of Conflicts" -- I think you probably meant
"Positive effects of conflict resolution"

On 11/5/14, 1:42 AM, Yvan Boily wrote:
> Sigh.
>
> This is why I eagerly await switching to GMail.
> ----
>
> I think a better approach might be to rewrite the specific section as:
>
> 7. Discrimination.  Here a Mozillian judges or discriminates against another based on any consideration addressed in the Community Participation Guidelines related to Diversity and Inclusion.  These claims are very sensitive and should be handled seriously.  This includes, but is not limited to people of varied age, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender-identity, language, race, sexual orientation, geographical location and religious views.

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVEswisher at mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>
Developer Relations Community Manager