[CBT] Alex Wafula starting as Community Building intern

Laura Hilliger laura at mozillafoundation.org
Mon Jun 10 23:12:36 PDT 2013

W00T! Welcome Alex! Very excited to see this toolkit take shape.

For this project there may well be differences in strategies and best
practices depending on the community. Instead of one gigantic generalized
resource that is hard to use and too information heavy, we should make
modular resources that snap together in endless form, so people can make
their own, customized kits.

We do this by making the toolkit hackable. We've been seeing some inspiring
and awesome stuff coming out of the Webmaker Mentor team's most recent
engagement effort (#teachtheweb is going really well:
http://webmaker.org/teach).

We put out prototypey, hackable, remixable pages and kits (built with
thimble or popcorn), and have gotten so many interesting contributions,
that we've started doing this for everything. They are prettier and easier
than wikis, promote web literacy, customizable and easy to share. Plus with
June 15ths launch of the new webmaker.org, we have new kick ass features to
play with, including saving, versioning, etc.

Anyway - I'm happy to help. Can follow up off list if you want :-)

Yay!

--Laura

Laura Hilliger coming to you live from a mobile device
@epilepticrabbit
zythepsary.com
On Jun 10, 2013 10:45 PM, "Alex Wafula" <xelawafs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The next three months are going to
> be awesome; I'm really looking forward to see how we can improve our
> engagement with new contributors. And as David mentioned, don't hesitate to
> write with any ideas you have on how this toolkit should look like.
>
> Alex
>

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Brian King <bking at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking forward to working more with you Alex.
>>
>> - Brian
>>

>> On 10. 06. 13 20:00, David Boswell wrote:
>>
>>> I'm excited to say that today is Alex Wafula's first day as a Mozilla
>>> intern.  He is going to be working on a toolkit to help communities bring
>>> in new contributors.
>>>
>>> Alex has been involved with Mozilla for several years and is the Mozilla
>>> Kenya community lead and is also actively involved in Mozilla Reps as a
>>> Council member and mentor.
>>>
>>> His project will involve taking best practices, tips and advice from
>>> community builders across the project and then packaging that up into a
>>> resource for everyone.
>>>
>>> For instance, Mozilla Hispano has been doing some interesting work
>>> rethinking how to connect with potential volunteers and that could be a
>>> useful case study to share with others.
>>>
>>> If you'd like to say hi to Alex or talk with him about the toolkit, he
>>> is on this list so feel free to write back.  You can also find him on IRC
>>> as xelawafs.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> David