[CBT] A letter that gives students credit for contribution- will this help you?

Irvin Chen irvin at moztw.org
Wed Jun 5 12:52:58 PDT 2013

Hi Dia,

It really helps A Lot!

We'd working with some local univ. in recent 2 semesters, encourage univ.
students contributing on various Mozilla projects as their required social
service credits.
Although we'd co-operation with OSS Consulting Centre to issue the
certificates,
I believe it'll be even better for that we do also issuing this letter to
the students.

Thanks for the effort, it just so handy and helpful!

Irvin
MozTW (Taiwan community)

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Dia Bondi <dbondi at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi Community Builders,
>
> Last quarter a contributor came to the People Team enthusiastic and ready
> to jump in.  She found a meaningful project within our function and was off
> and running.  Not long after we onboarded her she asked if she could earn
> University units by having me document and vouch for her contribution of 90
> hours in a 3 month period.  Problem was...there was so much language in the
> verification letter from her U, that I couldn't just say yes.  (works like,
> *internship* and *work *etc- all no-no's from a legal perspective).
>
> So, what did we do?  We got to YES by reaching directly into the
> University and co-creating a "contributor" letter that works for everyone.
> And, lucky for us, that helped us create the attached document.  A
> boilerplate letter we can all use to engage student contributors and give
> them the opportunity to earn units for their volunteer hours in the Mozilla
> Project.
>
> What does this mean to you and the project?  Connect with campuses in your
> area as a direct funnel for contributors and do it all in "compliance".
>
> Hope this helps you in your getting to YES with student contributors who
> want to get those hours to count on campus.
>

> *Dia Bondi
> Head of Knowledge Cultivation
> Community Steward, People Team
> @diabondia      IRC: #thejudge