[CBT] Open Source + Open Culture + Open Data

Majken Connor majken at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 10:46:15 PDT 2013

One of the frustrations I have had (and others I know) is that while we
have done a good job of quantifying our open development practices, we
haven't done a good job of quantifying what community building practices
have worked, and what make us who we are.

My two main concerns are:

1. If we don't know what we're doing right, how do we know when we've
stopped doing it? Mozilla has grown so much, ask anyone that's been around
(even not as long as I have been) and they will tell you we're not the
same. Some of that is definitely good, some of it is inevitably bad. If we
don't see the bad changes coming it is hard to intervene and preserve the
good culture before it is too late.

2. We can't win the internet alone. Success in Mozilla's mission IS passing
on our values so that if Mozilla disappeared tomorrow the culture of the
internet has our values deeply ingrained. To paraphrase a quote someone
passed on from Mitchell - we need to make ourselves redundant.