[CBT] [systems] Proposal: A new Mozillians.org signup process

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Wed Dec 18 12:43:02 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM, William Reynolds <williamr at mozilla.com> wrote:
>> While Mozillians may become a way of tracking "access [to] certain
>> protected resources", the system should not be designed around that goal.
>
> I agree we should not design around that goal, though I think we need to
> keep it in mind. Vouched status on mozillians.org allows you to view
> anyone's profile and it also gives you access to additional content on other
> sites like Air Mozilla and the Reps Portal.

That points to better privacy control/more fine-grained control of
what people make visible on their profile, though.

> There are problems with our current vouching system [1], and that is why we
> are trying to find a better solution. An invitation model - while not
> perfect - feels to me like an improvement in the right direction as we help
> mozillians.org scale in 2014.

I think I agree with Benjamin that it doesn't feel right to me.
Invitations the way you've modeled them here should be the replacement
for the vouching procedure we currently have in place, but not for
registration/creation of a profile itself.

Cheers,

Dirkjan